FREE INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE (VITA)
I am certified by the IRS to provide Free income
tax assistance to low income and senior citizens through the Volunteer Income Tax
Assistance Program (VITA). Low income is usually the limit of the EITC Credit. about
NEW for 2010
- Federal amended returns can be e-filed but not state returns
Free Electronic Filing for both New York and Federal Returns!!
Last day to file a 2013 return electronically will be Oct
- New York State is NOT mailing any tax forms to individuals. Forms may be obtained from
Tax Preparers or Libraries
- Federal Return asks you to report the amount of the Federal Economic
Recovery Payment you received in 2009.
- If you itemized deductions on your federal return AND received a NY
refund you must go to the NEW YORK STATE WEB SITE and retrieve your
I operate two locations BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
I am taking appointments for the 2014 tax season (2013 returns) now. I can
still do returns for refunds for 2010 ,2011, AND 2012. You cannot get refunds for 2009 or
before, but the IRS can get you.
The first appointments started Start Jan 20, 2014 for 2011 returns.
Call 446-3326 (3) Give your name, telephone number and when you can be reached at
that number. Repeat your phone number. Some phones produce horrible voice quality. If I
can't understand you, I can't call you back.
When I call you to set up an appointment I will ask you about your situation to
estimate how long your appointment will take.
The average time to do a tax return (both state an Federal) is 45 min.
I have two locations:
1- St. Alban's Church ( Corner or Scott Ave and
Meadowbrook Drive) near Nottingham HS (east side of Syracuse)
Click Here for map to St. Alban's Here I can do
returns all year.
||2:00 - 6:00 PM
||2:00 - 6:00 PM
2- Beauchamp Library (Corner of Colvin and Salina)
south side of Syracuse Click Here for map to Beauchamp
This site is open only during the prime tax season Jan 24 - April 30
||9:30 - 1:00 PM
||3:30 - 6:30 PM
Bring with you
Partial check list :
- Must bring photo identification
- Social Security Cards for Everybody on your tax return. This includes
newborns and parents living in Canada or Mexico if you want to claim them as a dependent.
- Birth Dates for everyone on the tax return
- Current years tax package if you received one
- Wage and earning statement (s) Form W-2 from all employers
- 1099R - Pension - Annuity Payments
- State tax refunds
- Gambling or lottery winnings and losses
- Unemployment Comp.
- SSA-1099 Social Security Benefits
- Forms 1099-Div or Int -Interest and dividend statements from banks, mutual funds, etc.
- Amount of Federal Rebate (ECONOMIC RECOVERY PAYMENT) you received or credited to you in 2010. Usually $250
for SSA recipients etc. This payment was sent only if you were eligible last
year but did not get it for some reason.
- 1098 Mortgage interest payments - Real estate taxes Paid - Star Rebate
- Rent Paid (New York State home owners or renters credit (Total income must be less
the $18,000 to qualify))
- 1099B If you sold stock and Proof of how much you paid for the stock when you
- A copy of last years Federal and State returns (if you itemized)
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Total Paid for Day Care
- Day Care providers Identifying number (SSA or EIN)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both
spouses must be present to sign the required forms. It is extremely important that each
person use the correct Social Security Number (SSN).
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing Separate tax return
you Must have Social Security Number (SSN) of BOTH
spouses. Also New York State requires knowledge of both spouses income.
The most accurate information is usually located on your original social security
card. If you do not have a Social Security Number for you or a dependent you
should complete Form SS-5,
Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest
Security Administration Office.
If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number you may need
Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
have not received your Forms W-2 from your employer and want to know what to do, you may
obtain information here.
Dave Gregg 315-446-3326 firstname.lastname@example.org Syracuse Volunteer
Note if you do not live in the Syracuse area call
the IRS (800-829-1040) for assistance.